We are currently looking for an experienced Head of Department to lead Maintenance activities within our fast-moving, 24-hour/day manufacturing environment, including sheet metal, powder coating and assembly.
Day to Day Responsibilities
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the responsibilities of the Head of Department for Maintenance will include:
- Ensuring adherence to all legal and organisational health and safety requirements.
- Leadership and Management of a team of 16 multi-skilled Engineers working across a range of shifts.
- Working closely with the Operations department in the achievement of challenging, daily production targets.
- Planning, supervision and delivery of complex departmental and business improvement projects.
- Contributing to the development and ensuring the delivery of departmental strategies and objectives.
- Delivery of departmental KPIs including machine availability targets.
- Effective management of key resources including plant, equipment and spares.
- Effective management of key processes including TPM, Planned Maintenance and OEE.
- Developing effective working relationships with external suppliers.
- Improving team member’s skill levels through effective appraisal and development planning.
Relevant Training, Qualifications & Experience
- Health and Safety
- Minimum of IOSH Managing Safely or equivalent.
- Experience of working within and supervising Health and Safety systems within a Maintenance environment.
- Maintenance Engineering Apprenticeship / Qualified in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering at a minimum of Level 3 / HNC.
- Extensive training and experience of maintenance and fault diagnostics in mechanical, hydraulics, pneumatics, electrics, electronics and PLCs.
- Lean and Problem Solving
- Training and qualification in Lean business improvement techniques at level 3.
- Implementation of Lean systems and improvement tools within a Maintenance environment.
- Training and use of formal problem solving activities such as 8D.
- Supervision, Management and Leadership
- Minimum of CMI Level 3 Supervisory Management qualification or equivalent.
- Supervisory experience within a fast paced, multi-shift manufacturing environment.
- Leadership of an Engineering team.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Attributions
- Technical expertise in a wide range of maintenance activities.
- Commercial acumen.
- The ability to lead and motivate a team of maintenance engineers.
- The drive to achieve challenging objectives and targets.
- A proactive and flexible approach to work combined with a “can do” attitude.
- Systematic problem solving.
- Excellent communication skills.
Working Hours & Additional Benefits
- 39 hours per week working day shift
- Must be flexible on hours and overtime working including weekends
- (Overtime paid @ x 1 ½ Mon-Sat and x 2 Sun)
- Access to our recognition and reward portal, providing discounts at over 850 retail stores
- 25 days holiday plus Bank Holidays
- Life Insurance and Defined Contribution Pension
Rittal UK holds the prestigious Investors in People Silver award and are committed to the training and development of all their staff. As such this is an excellent opportunity for successful candidates to build a long-term career with a Global Company.